2.17.2014

Blooming Hyacinths




These are the Pink Pearl and Blue Jacket varieties. This is the first time I've planted Hyacinth bulbs in a container, and I'm very excited with the results! 

I started planting at the end of December, and now by mid February they're starting to bloom. It is said that this kind of bulb plant can't grow in the central and southern Texas area, but it certainly did grow here in Austin. Although I have to admit that it came to my mind that this wasn't going to end very well... 


These little fighters have come a long way. In order to get these bulbs in a dormant state I had to keep them stored in the refrigerator for about 6 weeks, and let's be honest being the first time and having no experience with this sort of plant I forgot to check the humidity on the bags I was keeping them. The result was a moldy bag with moldy bulbs on it... But, I knew they could give a fight before discarding them. And what I did -and actually worked-, was to remove the damaged layers with mold, cover the bulbs in a water solution with methylene blue - a great fungicide used for fish tanks-, and then let them dry. Finally I sprinkled all of them with baking soda to assure the mold wouldn't grow again. And tah-dah!




To all of you out there willing to try these, I recommend it! I will try to grow Dahlias soon, and will keep you posted. 









No hay comentarios.: